March 10, 2009

'Lady Killers' Titan Reprint

A small mystery surrounding the next Titan reprint to be released: it seems there are two different covers out there. Comixology shows an orange cover; Amazon shows a pink one (with a different drawing). Both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk show the pink one, so it's not a different-sides-of-the-pond thing. Perhaps there was an earlier version of the cover that was changed before production? Strangely, the Titan website doesn't show the cover at all.

And are the drawings by different artists, or am I mistaken? Could be a clue in there... The Lady Killers is the first Titan reprint to cover the Neville Colvin era. I'm not familiar enough with the strip artists to identify the images below... can anyone else? (There's a great summary up on Wikipedia of strips, dates, and artists.)















Either way, Comixology has one of the best, succint summaries of Modesty I've ever come across:
'The dark underworld of espionage and crime is lit up by the fatal charms of the gorgeous Modesty Blaise, high priestess of crime and goddess of cult thrillers! Adventurer, spy, smuggler, racketeer, and all-around bad girl, Modesty is as stylish as she is smart, as lethal and as beautiful as a Japanese fighting sword!
This latest volume features three classic stories - 'Dossier on Pluto,' 'The Lady Killers,' and 'Garvin's Travels.' Featuring new story introductions by creator Peter O'Donnell, plus a host of special features and behind-the-scenes material, this latest addition to the Modesty Blaise library is not to be missed!
'

This has me itching to get my hands on the new edition! I'd love to hear some more description of what the special features are...

.

6 comments:

Steve said...

Oh, this is exciting and I didn't even know it was scheduled for release. I've got my pre-order in at Amazon. Thanks for posting.

Props to Titan for doing such a great job with these reprints. I'm re-buying stories that I already have but I'm happy to do it to get them in the Titan format.

Modesty Blaise said...

Yes, Titan is doing a wonderful job, especially with the extra material in each edition. That's my main reason for buying -- unfortunately it's an expensive way to gather it up! Wish they'd do a biography of POD...

Modesty Blaise said...

Oh, and meant to add: The Scarlet Maiden is scheduled for release August 2009, and Death in Slow Motion has just been added on Amazon! No cover graphic yet; release date is October 2009...

Steve said...

It sounds like they will keep us busy through the end of the year. I'm looking forward to them.

I agree with you on the extra material. It's like opening a Christmas present each time a new copy arrives. I quickly page through looking for the POD thoughts on the stories.

Anonymous said...

They did this once (or twice?) before: #12 Death Trap also had two different covers (navy blue & charcoal gray) completely different pictures, but after I got mine, I always wanted to know if there actually was another one and what the differences, if any, were!

Modesty Blaise said...

I assume it's a production decision: likely their art department does a mock-up of the cover, and then it goes through a couple rounds of discussion. I'd love to get in touch with Titan to ask, but am too busy right now... however, if anyone else wants to...? A snapshot into The Production of a Modesty Blaise Book would make a great article!